Schematic illustration of an Eco Trench wastewater system layout
The EcoTrench is designed to optimise the on site management of as much of the pre-treated wastewater as is acceptable, safe and compliant, before storage and final off site cartage, or, where permissible, off site discharge. It relies on several processes for the management of the treated effluent.
- Efficient degradation and stabilisation of remaining effluent organics (BOD) by the humus ecology located on top of the sand column.
- Sand (2A sand or equivalent filter sand) filtration to remove pathogens.
- Evapotranspiration from the sloping surface of the ecoTrench.
- Buffering storage within base gravel pores.
- Soakage to ground at the base of the ecoTrench.
- Prevention of surface ponding by the installation of under drainage should the hydraulic capacity of the soakage bed base be exceeded.
- Shedding of rainfall by mounding.
- Water balance componentsPerimeter or up slope interceptor field drains to optimise the water balance for wastewater soakage.